Thursday, November 09, 2006

The goodness of flaxseed oil

Recently, while browsing, I stumbled upon an article that talked about the wonders of flaxseed and flaxseed oil. I was dumbfounded to say the least - Flaxseed, known as Alivira in Tamil and Muthira in Malayalam, although valued in the past for its medicinal properties, has lost most of its sheen in the recent past. In fact I know families that avoid it conscientiously since it is branded as "the food of the horses". Looks like the horses continue to benefit while we moved on to burgers and pizzas and what not. The article I read pointed out the flaxseeds and flaxseed oil are rich in Omega-3-fatty-acids, which are much needed for the body, and are known to be beneficial for heart diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases, arthritis and according to some studies, even cancer. WOW! And all along, I was under the impression that Omega-3-fatty-acids can be got only from fish! Being a vegetarian by upbringing, and later by choice, I had always felt that I was missing out on these fatty acids. Was I thrilled! More crawling in the internet told me that flaxseed oil is not suitable to be heated for cooking as it loses its properties when heated. There are lots of sites that give recipes using flax seed including some yummy-sounding ones.

For those of you who are in Chennai, cold pressed flaxseed oil is available in ECONUT, the health food shop in Besant Nagar - at least this is what I found from the internet. I am going to check it out soon!

3 comments:

M.P.George said...

Flax seeds also called linseed is called "cheruchana vithu" in Malayalam;it is not "muthira". "Muthira" is horse gram.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info I checked with the shop. They have the product in powder form as well in capsules

Anonymous said...

can you just give me the details of its price...now-a-days this oil is of high demand due to its use in manufacture of paints and other stuffs..Is this oil suitable for human use as well..??